Vacations serve the best purpose when you return feeling relaxed, rejuvenated and balanced. Eating poorly and over indulging in libations might free you mentally in the moment but ultimately have you gaining weight and anxious. At Be Well, we encourage our clients to explore locations that provide easy ways to continue their healthy habits and stay balanced. Developing wellness habits while traveling works best when your hotel, city or travel buddy supports your goals. Look for a hotel that provides menu modifications, organic choices, outdoor activities and a spa with organic skincare products.
Once you have made a healthy destination choice, the rest is up to you. Call ahead and book an outdoor activity/workout and pay ahead. A little structure and commitment to balance will make you feel empowered; you will make better memories, ditch food guilt and be more excited for your next getaway. Your Be Well travel itinerary would include scheduling a time to move in the morning, sticking to consuming wild proteins, healthy fats and fibrous greens throughout the day and enjoying your indulgent treat in the evening. (Pick the Skinny Cocktail or Flourless Chocolate Cake…you earned it) Avoid a sugary breakfast that will have you on a blood sugar rollercoaster and pick one window of time to drink brunch, afternoon or evening but not all three. And don’t be afraid to take a day off.
Don’t know where to go next? Happy Wanderlust Wednesday! Here is today’s #BEWELLHOTEL
Ritz Carlton Maui Kapalua x Be Well Guide:
Hotel: The Ritz Carlton Kapalua - Book over wellness week in September when they are offering increased workout classes, speaker programs (Me :) and spiritual Hawaiian rituals to bring you in touch with the earth.
Breakfast: Book an early workout and grab a smoothie to hold you over until your poolside lunch or snag breakfast before you sweat at the buffet.
Aina Gourmet for Coffee & Smoothies: The Ritz has a Coffee bar in the Lobby serving protein packed smoothies. You can easily build your favorite #bewellsmoothie with either Aloha Vegetable Protein or Grass Fed Tera’s Whey. Their Almond Milk is made daily in house and they offer the most delicious almond milk lattes or cold pressed coffee for a less acidic morning kick.
The Terrace Buffet: Focus on protein and fill one plate. Build your own omelets with veggies, avocado and protein. Don’t forget to top it with homemade salsa from their organic garden. If you are feeling sweet build a coconut milk yogurt parfait and load it up with nuts, seeds and hemp hearts.
Lunch and Dinner: The restaurants on site all pull produce from the hotel expansive organic garden and dishes are inspired by what is flourishing on site. If you get a chance take the garden tour! Choosing a restaurant depends on your preference for your meal. Below are the preferred Be Well choices for on site dining.
The Banyan Tree Ocean views, fresh fish and innovative cocktails, Farm-to-fork and garden-to-glass concepts, Open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. This offers the best Be Well options for clean proteins.
- AHI POKE Maui onion, ogo seaweed, tobiko
- OPAKAPAKA CEVICHE young coconut, calamansi, smoked chiles
- BANYAN TREE BOUILLABAISSE scallop, prawn, onaga, tako, lemongrass-lobster broth
- CHARRED AHI STEAK house bacon, Kula baby bok choy, carrot puree
- UPCOUNTRY SEARED MAHI barbeque-spiced rub, Kula corn, lump crab, and crispy baby parsnip
- ISLAND SEAFOOD FEATURE daily preparation market price
- GRASSFED USDA PRIME RIBEYE jumbo asparagus, boursin whipped potato, port wine gastrique
Kai Sushi Features more than 20 varieties of the most popular types of sushi, sashimi and innovative Japanese cuisine and gluten free sake.Open for dinner Thursday through Monday from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m
- Kaiso Salad Fresh Seaweed, Maui Onion, Ponzu Sauce
- Ahi Poke Fresh Raw Tuna, Maui Onion, Soy Sauce
- Sashimi Combo Nine Pieces Assorted Sashimi
- Sushi and Sashimi Combo Six Pieces Sushi, Nine Pieces of Sashimi, Tuna Roll, Miso Soup
The Beach House Beachfront alfresco dining offer up local favorites, specialty appetizers, fresh seafood, sandwiches and salads. Lunch served daily from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- KALUA CHICKEN WONTON Cilantro, Avocado, Pineapple Chipotle Vinaigrette, Kaffir Lime Sour Cream (hold the wonton)
- GRILLED TERIYAKI STEAK Baby Spinach, Papaya, Asian‐Peanut Dressing
- CHARRED AHI Local Baby Kale, Feta Cheese, Garden Basil
- BEACH HOUSE BURGER Applewood Smoked Bacon, Avocado, Cheddar Cheese
Alaloa Bar Lounge Light fare and appetizers served daily from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m and they have live entertainment Thursday through Monday nights
- CHICKPEA HUMMUS Surfing Goat Cheese, Flat Bread, Rainbow Carrots, Baby Cucumber
- SUGAR CANE HULI CHICKEN Candied Mac Nuts, Garden Mint, Waipoli Farms Lettuce
- ALALOA SUPER GREEN CHICKEN SALAD Wild Spinach, Zucchini Ribbons, Edamame, Almonds, Yogurt Dip(ADD A PROTEIN)
- LOCAL STYLE CAESAR SALAD Pulehu Roasted Tuna, Tomatoes, Baby Romaine, Haiku Avocado Without Tuna, With Chicken, With Shrimp
- SURF & TURF BURGER Grilled Grass Fed Beef, White Cheddar, Tempura Shrimp Without Shrimp Served with French fries – Sub side Salad and ask for it lettuce wrapped
The Pool Bar & Café Lunch served daily from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- GARDEN VEGETABLE ROLL avocado, shiso, sprouts, miso ponzu sauce
- VEGETABLE CRUDITE carrots, cucumbers, radish, edamame hummus (ask for guacamole or salsa)
- KUMU FARMS MIXED GREEN SALAD fuji apple, edamame, candied walnuts, lilikoi vinaigrette (add Chicken or Shrimp)
- KAPALUA BURGER applewood smoked bacon, avocado, cheddar cheese (lettuce wrapped)
- CAFÉ TURKEY BURGER bread and butter pickles, caramelized onions, pepperjack Havarti (lettuce wrapped)
Workouts: The gym is large (it doesn’t feel like a hotel gym) and fully equipped with treadmills, bikes and weights. There is decent floor space, spa water, headphones and fresh towels available. If you are feeling the gym on vacation there is a nice beach run down past the montage and tennis courts available for use. If you need a little motivation book one on the following activities to stay on program.
Pilates: This hotel has Reformers!
Book a reformer session!! Very few hotels provide this service and it’s the perfect whole body workout. Plan for an early morning session if your travel buddy wants to sleep in. Sneak out for a hour session with a seasoned instructor that will have you sticking to your workout schedule.
Hikes: Get at least one of these hikes in for expansive views of Kapalua.
- MAUNALEI MAGIC – Arboretum Hike – 2-1⁄2 hours
- WEST MAUI SUNRISE - E ALA E MAUNALEI - E Ala E (“Awaken”) beautiful hike to the Arboretum summit offers the rich reward of unparalleled views into the native Pu‘u Kukui Watershed
- COASTAL WALK EXPLORATION “Ke’ala ola”- The Path of Life– 2 hours Vvisit a few of Maui’s best beaches and bays while learning the rich Hawaiian history of our modern day Kapalua.
- CELESTIAL EXPLORATION – “Kilo hoku” – 1 hour If you slept in…..get your workout in late, followed by star gazing into the Kapalua night sky!
- SUNRISE COASTAL WALK Start your day right while exploring tide pools along the way.
- SNORKEL: It a great casual workout that is fun for everyone and you never know what you will see, we were lucky to see a beautiful turtle.
- SCUBA: It burns more calories than you think! 125 lb women will burn 300 calories for 45 min of diving. You body goes through thermogenesis to keep your core temperature at 98 degrees plus it can be meditative to slow your breath down and take in the beauty under the sea.
- SWIM: Easy on the joints you can get out in the ocean and have fun like a kid again!
Spa: Indulge here! The Ritz spa offers a variety of treatments and therapies based on native Hawaiian healing traditions and the potent plants, flowers, fruits and herbs abundant in Hawaii. The space is open and natural and the rooms are comfortable and quiet.
Products/Services: Eminence Organics is a completely organic line from Hungary that you can practically eat; my Esthetician Rebecca (who I loved!) personalized my organic facial using Eminence Products. She also went a step further to answer my questions after my facial. She wrote down a full daily routine and what she recommended from the other products lines available in the spa including a tinted Skinceuticals foundation and C serum. I have been using my Vitamin C serum every morning since and see a dramatic difference in my brightness. Also, if you forget sunscreen they carry Coola and Eminence (vanilla) sunscreen for the pool, which are the ones I buy at home.