Any light in your bedroom from a cell phone screen to cable box is preventing you from getting hormone regulating sleep. Even when your eye lids are closed your brain is firing from the little lights and preventing the cleansing rem sleep you deserve.
Benefits of sleep include regulation of hormones, curbing appetite and lowering inflammation. Sleep helps you manage stress and decreases depression; a good set of zzzz’s will spur creativity, improve memory and increase you overall outlook on life.
Sleep should be your number one priority!!
Tips for Quality Sleep:
- Use blackout window shades or an eyemask
- Silence your cellphone, fans or any noise generators
- Eliminate or cover small lights from clocks, phones or cableboxes
- Consider using earplugs
- Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep
- Align your sleep cycle with the sun and moon. aka: 10pm to 6 am.
- Learn to use your do not disturb funtion on your cellphone
- Stop using bright illuminated screen devices at least 1 hour before bed
- Use a magnesium or melatonin supplement if needed to naturally calm your body and prepare it for sleep.
If you are interested in learning more about the sleeps connection to hormones and cravings I suggest you read; Lights out: Sleep Sugar and Survival by T.S. Wiley.