A hearty and wholesome meal to enjoy during the holidays that everyone will enjoy.
Turkey Squash Comfort Casserole
1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 lb of turkey
- 2 cups of cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cup spinach (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup chopped tomatos
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp italian seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp pink salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Shredded goat or sheep cheese (optional)
- Parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat cubed squash with coconut oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- In a medium, add onion, garlic, olive oil and celery. Set fire to medium- low and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes to sweat onions and until garlic is aromatic. Be careful not to burn garlic.
- Add Turkey, Italian seasoning and salt. Turn heat to medium and cook meat thoroughly, breaking it into small ground bits and stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
- When turkey is cooked, add tomatoes, spinach and cooked squash and stir completely. Spinach will wilt and tomatoes will release juices.
- Take mixture off fire and pour off excess water.
- Pour into a 9×13 pyrex pan. Sprinkle with paprika and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat 3 eggs together and pour over the pyrex mixture. Use the fork to lightly mix the meat and veggie mixture with eggs.
- Optional, add shredded cheese to top or bake without cheese for a #whole30 #paleo casserole.
- Bake Casserole for 20-30 minutes until cheese is golden and/or until eggs are set.