You'll want to add this pumpkin pie to your Thanksgiving lineup. It's the perfect way to end your meal without the added sugar and an extra dose fiber and healthy fats to keep you feeling satisfied afterwards (but it's so good you'll probably come back for seconds).
No Bake, Sugar-Free Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- 1 ½ cups (165g) raw pecans (or other nuts of choice)
- 1 cup (125g) soft, pitted dates*
- 1/2 cup (40g) dried, unsweetened coconut
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup (65g) raw cashews, soaked either in cold water overnight or in boiled hot water for 30 minutes, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup (220g) pumpkin puree (NOTE: if using homemade pumpkin puree, be sure that it is thick and not watery. You can remove excess water using the method described here.)
- 1/2 cup (75g) coconut cream
- 1/2 cup (62g) soft, pitted dates*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoons dried ground cloves
- Homemade whipped coconut cream, instructions below.
- Regular whipped cream, unsweetened
- Soak your cashews overnight or place them in boiled hot water for 30 minutes, rinse, and drain well. If dates seem hard or dry, soak them in warm water for 20 minutes, then drain.
- After soaking your dates, put all the ingredients for the crust in a food processor and pulse until evenly chopped. Then, process on low speed and eventually high speed for a few minutes until the mixture starts to pull away from the sides and collect towards the middle.
- Transfer the “dough” into a standard size, shallow 9 inch (23 cm) pie pan (not deep dish). Using your fingers, press the mixture into an even layer that covers both the bottom and the sides of the pan.
- Add the ingredients for the filling to the food processor (no need to wash it in between – hurray!). Pulse until roughly combined and then blend on high speed until smooth.
- Transfer the filling to the pan and even it out using a rubber spatula.
- Cover the pie and put it in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours to fully chill and set.
- To create your coconut whipped topping, place a can of unsweetened coconut cream in the fridge overnight. Pour the coconut cream into a bowl and whisk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Slice the pie and serve with whipped coconut cream, if desired.