Adapted from my dear friend Jessica's Low So Good Cookbook - Carrot Vegetable Noodle Salad with Spicy Shrimp.
Peanut Carrot Salad with Spicy Shrimp
- 5 medium carrots
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup lemon tahini dressing (I used tahini and a squeeze of lemon juice)
- 4 oz snow peas, washed and trimmed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red fresno chile
- 1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp salt-free garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt-free chipotle chile powder or salt-free chile powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 extra-large frozen shrimp with tails, thawed, peeled and deveined
- Coconut oil for grilling
- 1/4 cup salt-free chopped peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Use a vegetable peeler to make carrot ribbons. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add 1/4 cup of the dressing. Toss to coat well; taste and add more dressing, if desired. Add the snow peas, green onions, fresno chile, jalapeño, basil and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the garlic powder, chipotle chile powder, and pepper until combined. Add the shrimp and toss until coated with spice rub.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a large sauce pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp in batches, and cook on both sides until nicely seared and the shrimp are pink (about 3 minutes per side). Remove the shrimp to a plate and set aside. Repeat until all shrimp are cooked.
- Serve the salad, with the shrimp and garnish with peanuts and lime wedges.