As we approach flu season, bone broth is especially beneficial to support your immune health. Bone broth can help us recover more efficiently when we're sick due to the anti-inflammatory and gut healing properties, along with it's high electrolyte content.
Benefits of Bone Broth
Bone broth’s amino acids help to restore the strength of our gut lining, which influences our body's ability to fight off harmful cold-causing bacteria. When everything is running smoothly inside, the gut sends signals for the development of healthy immune-fighting responses.
Bone broth also provides minerals like calcium, phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, and potassium and is incredibly unique because it contains collagen amino acids like glycine and arginine. And the marrow gives you vitamins A, B2, B12, and E, omega-3s, omega-6s, and minerals like calcium, iron, selenium, and zinc.
Just one serving of bone broth contains 10-16 grams of protein per serving, making it easy to increase your daily protein intake. Protein is the most satiating macro-nutrient and provides the most nutrient dense bite per ounce, so including it in meals and regularly throughout the day is a must for your gut health, your satisfaction level, and blood sugar and hormone balance.
My Favorite Bone Broths
There are a ton of brands jumping on the bone broth train, so you definitely want to check the quality before you buy. FOND, Kettle & Fire, and Bonafide Provisions are some of my go-to’s.
- FOND Bone Broth is a mission-driven company started by a mom of 5 on the road to healing herself. Can you imagine starting a company with that many babies? It is an amazing company I was introduced to at a regenerative farming conference and have been hooked ever since. I love to cook with it to enhance my meals or even drink it on ice; it's that good. The lemon garlic and turmeric flavors are my favorites, but you can't go wrong with any of them. It's the perfect gut-loving bridge snack to calm cravings and a drink that feels like a hug for those who need it most. The code BEWELLBYKELLY gets you 20% off your order or 10% off your subscription monthly; check them out here.
- Kettle & Fire’s pre-made bone broth comes in a small shelf-stable box, making it a great option to stock up on and use for quick recipes that require a cup of broth, like my shredded chicken curry recipe. Use my link for 15% off your order.
- If I am looking to sip on broth or heat a clean pre-made organic chicken vegetable soup, I also love using Bonafide Provisions frozen broth for making flavorful sauces! For 20% off Bonafide Provisions use code KELLY at checkout.
These bone broths are delicious on their own, but also easy to incorporate into meals for extra flavor, protein, and gut-loving nutrients.
Be Well Bone Broth Recipes:
- Body Love Bone Broth Curry Recipe
- Homemade Minestrone Soup
- Warm Tuscan and Kale White Bean Soup
- Marisa's Carnitas & Kale Salad
- Shredded BBQ Pork with Ranch Slaw and Yam Chips
Be Well Tip: Cooking rice? Swap the water for bone broth! If you grew up on buttery chicken flavored rice like I did, this hack will be a game changer! Not only will it add a ton of flavor (I love to use FOND's lemon garlic flavor sipping broth), but you're getting the added benefits - collagen amino acids, vitamins and minerals like calcium, phosphorus, sodium, and magnesium, and increasing the protein content all in one.
FOND's Three Day Reset
I recently did a three-day reset with FOND Bone Broth as a nourishing way to start the school year. A bone broth cleanse can be beneficial during the flu and cold season to reboot your system, give your digestive system a break, and heal your gut. We do a lot as parents, and sometimes we forget to prioritize our own health and well-being. Incorporating a bone broth cleanse is a gentle, satisfying and non-traditional way of doing just that for myself. No deprivation or stress here - just a supported path to wellness.
Here's how it works:
FOND’s Bone Broth Reset Bundle comes with 12x bone broths, along with a digital Bone Broth Reset E-Book and printed Bone Broth Reset quick start guide. For three days, you’ll sip on four jars of FOND at meal times, with an addition of one to two Fab 4 meals filled with protein, fat, fiber, and greens.
By eliminating processed foods that disrupt your gut microbiome and hinder your body's recovery and replacing them with nutrient-dense bone broth, you'll be able to support gut healing, improve digestion, and reduce inflammation. Plus, the addition of reset-supportive Fab 4 foods will support your body's cleansing and detoxification process while keeping you satiated throughout the three-day reset. I haven't done anything like this since before I was pregnant (hello 2017), but have to say I loved it! I was satisfied all day long and was able to start the school year feeling my best.